Why?

The reason I'm starting this blog is to mainly catalogue all the guitars and related ephemera, that I have admired on local (Toronto) used websites, Craigslist, Kijiji and such. The aim isn't to feature all the expensive vintage brands but the lesser known, but still pretty cool, weirdo pre-1980's items made in countries like Germany, Japan, Italy, and Sweden. I'd like to show what kinda of awesome stuff you can get from $50 - $1000 bucks. But mostly more on the lower end of that scale. *none of these photos are mine unless indicated.

Friday 28 September 2012

1965 Gretsch Clipper


 $850
Okay.  So first post and it's not even typical for what this blog is all about.

The reason I'm starting this blog is to mainly catalogue all the guitars and related ephemera, that I have admired on local (Toronto) used websites, Craigslist, Kijiji and such.  The aim isn't to feature all the expensive vintage brands but the lesser known, but still pretty cool, weirdo pre-1980's items made in countries like Germany, Japan, Italy, and Sweden.  I'd like to show what kinda of awesome stuff you can get from $50 - $1000 bucks.  But mostly more on the lower end of that scale.

Anyways, back to today's first guitar.

This here is a 1965 Gretsch Clipper http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/drh/msg/3301681993.html
for sale for $850.  Which is a reasonable price for what was at the time an entry level guitar. At the time comparable to Gibson ES-125's.  I've heard these are usually priced out from $600 - $1200, depending on condition.  I don't know if any one is really paying the high end of that or if it's just wishful thinking.

Some Clippers are said to have neck issues, so it is a good idea to look for any repairs and to check to make sure the truss rod is still good.  This little guy appears good and the seller says it came out of Capsule Music which is a pretty good local shop, so I would trust it's in fairly good working order.  All original except  pickguard.  Comes with Fender gigbag - meh, better than no case I guess.

I have a soft-spot for Gretschs and hollowbodies in general and considering I paid nearly $1100 in 2004 for a Korean Electromatic, this is a good deal for a nice sixties guitar from one of the top makers.

No comments:

Post a Comment